Updated April 2023
Types of Information We Collect from You
We may collect information that individually identifies you (“Identifiable Information”). Identifiable Information may include but is not limited to: your name; physical address; phone number; e-mail address; and any combination of information that individually identifies you.
We may also automatically collect information that does not directly identify you but may be considered your personal data under applicable law (“Other Information”). Other Information may include but is not limited to information such as identifiers like your IP address, device ID and cookie ID as well as internet and connecting device information and other information.
We do not sell your Identifiable Information without your consent. However, we may share certain Personal Information with some of our partners which may be considered a “sale” under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) and other similar privacy laws (collectively, “Privacy Laws”). See below for information required by these laws.
Information You Provide to Us
We collect and store information that you voluntarily supply to us, such as your email address and name. If you are a contributor, we may collect information including your curriculum vitae.
Information That Is Automatically Collected
When you access the Site, EMR Content and our third-party partners may automatically collect certain information about your visit using tools such as cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies. The information collected automatically when you visit the Site may include your IP address, characteristics of your operating system, information about your browser and system settings, data about the computer or mobile device you use to access the Site, unique device identifiers, clickstream data (which shows the page-by-page path you take as you browse the Site). We or our third-party partners may combine information that each of us collects automatically with other information about you, including information you choose to provide.
To manage our automatic data collection, we may place tags (often referred to as “web beacons”) on pages on the Site or in emails we send to you. Web beacons are small files that link web pages to particular web servers and their cookies, and they may be used for a variety of purposes, such as counting the number of visitors to the Site, analyzing how users navigate around the Site, assessing how many emails that we send are actually opened and which articles or links are viewed by visitors.
Your browser settings may allow you to automatically transmit a “do not track” signal to websites and online services you visit. At this time there is no consensus among industry participants as to the meaning of “do not track” in this context. Like many other websites, www.defenseopinion.com is not configured to respond to “do not track” signals from browsers.
Companies that provide certain third-party apps, tools, widgets, and plug-ins that may appear on the Site also may use automated means to collect information regarding your interactions with these features. This information collection is subject to the privacy policies or notices of those providers.
Information Collected from Third Parties
We may also collect information about you through non-affiliated third parties, such as market research firms and public sources. Depending on the source, this information collected from third parties could include information such as demographic information and brand and media consumption information. We may combine information that we collect about you through the Site with information that we obtain from such third parties.
How We May Use Information
You are not required to provide any personally information to visit the Site. The personal information the Site collects about you – your name and email address – is that which you voluntarily provide if you sign up to be a part of the Site’s email list and to receive alerts and updates.
EMR Content may use the information gathered on www.defenseopinion.com for various purposes, including those listed below. For example, if you were to contact us with a question and provide your email address, we would use the email address you provided to respond to your inquiry. In addition, we use information we collect from you and through the Site to:
- Provide products and services you request (such as when you sign up to receive our email newsletters);
- Respond to requests, questions, and comments, and provide other types of user support;
- Offer you products and services via marketing communications, or direct you to portions of this Site or other websites, that we believe may interest you;
- To serve advertising, content and offers to you based on your interests and online activities, from us or third parties;
- Communicate about, and administer your participation in, events, programs, contests, and other offers or promotions;
- Carry out, evaluate, and improve our business (which may include developing new features for the Site; analyzing and enhancing the user experience on the Site; assessing the effectiveness of our marketing and advertising; and managing our communications);
- Perform data analytics regarding usage of the Site (including market and customer research, trend analysis, and financial analysis;
- Guard against, identify, and prevent fraud and other criminal activity, claims, and other liabilities; and
- Comply with applicable legal requirements, law enforcement requests, and our company policies.
How We May Share Information
EMR Content’s agents, vendors, consultants, and other service providers may have access to information we collect through the Site to carry out work on our behalf. Those parties are subject to confidentiality obligations and are restricted from using personal data collected through the Site for purposes other than to provide the requested assistance. In addition, we may share information:
- When you provide us with your consent to do so. For example, if you choose to submit content for publication, we may publish your name, screen name and/or other data you have provided.
- With our affiliates for internal business purposes;
- With third parties for marketing purposes, including social media networks, data management platforms, and other advertising technology providers; for example, we may match your email address with third parties with whom you have also consented to share your email address and use such match to deliver custom offers or emails to you on the Sites and elsewhere online;
- If we are required to do so by law, regulation, or legal process (such as a court order or subpoena);
- In response to requests from government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities, including to meet national security requirements;
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss, or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity;
- With respect to analytics and statistical information, to inform advertisers about the nature of our user base;
Data Retention and Access
To unsubscribe from www.defenseopinion.com, click the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of the email. If you would like to globally opt-out from all Defense Opinion email campaigns, please send an email to email@example.com with “Unsubscribe” in the subject line. When we send newsletters to subscribers we may allow advertisers or partners to include messages in those newsletters, or we may send dedicated newsletters on behalf of those advertisers or partners. We may disclose your opt-out choices to third parties so that they can honor your preferences in accordance with applicable laws.
- Tracking your preferences;
- Accessing your information when you sign in so we can provide you with your personalized content; and
- Displaying the most appropriate advertisements, based on your interests and activity on our services.
EMR Content reserves the right to use new technologies, as they become available, to gather additional, relevant information from our users and improve our services and your experience of them.
How We Protect Personal Information
We have implemented administrative, technical, and physical security measures to protect against the loss, misuse, and/or alteration of your information. These safeguards vary based on the sensitivity of the information that we collect and store. However, you assume some risk with regard to the security of information you provide to the Site as we cannot and do not guarantee that these measures will prevent every unauthorized attempt to access, use, alter or disclose your information since despite our efforts, no Internet and/or other electronic transmissions can be completely secure. If you have a data security inquiry, you may contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Links From www.defenseopinion.com to Other Websites
On this Site we may provide links to other websites that are controlled by third parties. Linked websites may have their own privacy notices or policies, which we strongly suggest you review. EMR Content is not responsible for the content, usage terms, or privacy policies of websites that we do not own or control. You agree and acknowledge that EMR Content will not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such content, services on or through any such site or resource or goods.
Third Party Advertising
We may work with one or more advertisers, advertising agencies, advertising networks, advertising technology companies (collectively referred to as “advertising partners”), and/or audience segment providers to help deliver advertisements or other content on our Site. These third parties may utilize cookies, web beacons, or similar technologies on your computer, mobile, or other device to serve you advertisements or content tailored to your perceived or stated interests and/or preferences based on information you provided, and/or your browsing behavior, on the Site and/or other sites and applications you have visited. These third parties may also use such technologies to help determine whether you previously have seen particular advertisements or content and to avoid sending you duplicates. In doing so, these third parties collect information such as your browser type, your operating system, web pages visited, time of visits, content viewed, ads viewed, and other click stream data.
EMR Content complies with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (COPPA) and related Federal Trade Commission regulations. We do not knowingly contact or collect personal information from children under 13. The Site is not designed or intended for use by children under 13. If we become aware that we have collected personal data from a child under the age of 13, we will delete any such information.
We do not knowingly process data of European Union (“EU”) residents under the age of 16 without parental consent. If we become aware that we have collected data from an EU resident under the age of 16 without parental consent, we will take reasonable steps to delete it as soon as possible. We also comply with other age restrictions and requirements in accordance with applicable local laws.
If you believe that we might have collected any personal information from a child under 13 or a resident of the EU who is under 16, please contact us at email@example.com.
Information for Users Outside the United States
Your personal data may be stored, transferred and processed in and to the United States and in other countries by our affiliates and/or service providers. The data protection laws in these countries may provide a lower standard of protection for your personal data than your country of residence.
Transfers of Information
Notice to Residents of California, Colorado, Connecticut, Virginia, Utah
This section provides you with specific rights outlined in the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Colorado Privacy Act (CPA), Connecticut Data Privacy Act (CTDPA), Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act (VCDPA), and Utah Consumer Privacy Act (UCPA).
Right of Access
You have the right to request that EMR Content provide you with certain information pertaining to our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories (and specific pieces) of information EMR Content has collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information that EMR Content has collected about you.
- Our business purpose for collecting and/or selling the personal information about you.
- The categories of third parties with whom we may share that information.
If we sold or disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, we will disclose to you the categories of your personal information that EMR Content has sold/disclosed.
Right to Deletion
You may also request that EMR Content delete any personal information that we have about you.
To exercise the access and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may only make a verifiable request for access to your personal information twice within a 12-month period. In order for EMR Content to respond to your request or provide you with personal information access, the verifiable consumer request must:
- Provide enough information for us to reasonably verify that you are the person about who personal information was collected.
- Include sufficient detail in the description of your request so that we can properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We will only use the personal information provided in the verifiable customer request to verify the requestor’s identity.
Right to Non-Discrimination
EMR Content will not discriminate against you for exercising your rights. You will not be:
- Denied goods or services.
- Charged different pricing/rates for goods and services or suggest that you will be charged different pricing/rates for goods and services.
- Provided with a sub-standard quality of goods and services or suggest that you will be provided with a sub-standard quality of goods and services.
“Do Not Sell My Personal Information” Request
CCPA law requires that EMR Content maintain a separate web page where you can choose to opt out of the sale of your personal information, which can be accessed by clicking the link below:
You may also contact us by email to make this request at email@example.com.
Categories and Sources of Personal Information Collected
EMR Content is required by certain legislation (like CCPA) to provide details of the categories of personal information collected, and the sources of that personal information collection, within the last 12 months (see above).
Use of Personal Information
EMR Content is also required by certain legislation (like CCPA) to provide details on the purposes of collecting your personal information (see above).
Information Sold or Disclosed for Business Purposes
CCPA sets forth certain obligations for businesses that “sell” personal information. Based on the definition of “sell” under the CCPA and under current regulatory guidance, we may have sold the following categories of information about you in the past twelve months: Identifiers (such as name, address, email address, IP address, or device identifiers); internet or other network or device activity; geolocation information; professional or employment related data; potentially protected classifications (such as gender, nationality, and age); physical characteristics or description (such as when you voluntarily submit a photo to our Site or Application); inferences related to the information identified. If you do not wish this information to be sold, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additionally, we utilize trusted third parties to provide services and perform functions for us, including maintenance and hosting, database storage and management, registration processing, and direct marketing campaign processing. Your personal information may be shared with these third parties to the extent necessary to provide the services and perform the functions mentioned.
NextRoll privacy notice
California visitors may also visit the California Residents section of NextRoll’s Service Privacy Notice at https://www.nextroll.com/privacy#service-13.
If you have questions about this policy or about our privacy practices, you may contact us by emailing email@example.com.